Given the amount of thoughtless emails send and posts on social media, "Before You Hit Send" is a very timely read. The book centers around 4 main areas to consider before sending that email, post, or even speaking to someone:
- Is It True?
- Is It Kind?
- Is It Necessary?
- Is It Clear?
The author was a pastor for several years and now speaks to several groups about communication. He shares some of his personal experiences and that of others. Around 250 pages, some of the topics covered include:
1. The Golden Rule of Communicating Truthfully.
2. Different types of lies and liars in communication.
3. Do not let fear keep you from communicating the truth (of course, at the right time and in love).
4. Suggestions for dealing with the different types of lies and liars.
5. Work diligently to speak in kind and loving ways.
6. Make kind responses independent of the other person's attitude.
7. Suggestions for dealing with the various kinds of unkind communicators.
8. A checklist for determining if it is necessary to say something.
9. Suggestions with dealing with the various kinds of unnecessary communication.
10. Make an extra effort to be clear in your communication.
11. Sarcasm is rarely an effective communication tool.
12. Suggestions for dealing with unclear communicators.
A great read and will be an excellent future reference. If folks would read and heed the book's contents, our society would be more civil in spite of many differences. There have been times when "trollers" who visit my blog have tried to egg me on to engage in thoughtless discussion and I typically refuse to do so if their tone does not change after a couple of exchanges. This book reinforces the wisdom of practicing such restraint. Highly recommended. I was given a review copy by BookLook Bloggers in exchange for a fair review.